Thursday, June 30, 2011

Bigger than Mountains

I arrived in Fresno (where Tony is) from London yesterday evening. It was a long journey, but Jesus enabled me to get on trains, automobiles, and planes that had no room for me to make the journey. It is good to be here although there is a profound sense helplessness. Probably anybody who is reading this can identify with that sense of helplessness in a situation that is so beyond our abilities or perceived abilities. In all honesty, I am thankful for the sense of helplessness. This comment may strike some of you as strange, so let me explain what I mean. Often times we think we are able to do more than we actually can. Realizing our helplessness, causes us to call out for help. But who should we call? What is the best source of help?

Psalm 121:1-2 gives us the answer in these words, I lift up my eyes to the hills. From where does my help come? My help comes from the Lord, who made heaven and earth.”

In these verses, the Psalmist realizes that help must come from somewhere greater than himself. He looks to the hills (mountains), not because the mountains can help, but because God who made those mountains as well as heaven and earth has power to help.

When we are overwhelmed by the impossibility of circumstances, we are reminded to search for the answer, not in ourselves, but in our Maker. God is the source of help, for Jesus alone has power to save.
Are you feeling helpless right now? Find some mountains. Look up at them. Then remember that Jesus has conquered the mountains that overwhelm us for he who made heaven and earth has power to save. This is where enduring help is found. Jesus is bigger than all of our mountains.

No comments:

Post a Comment