Monday, June 27, 2011

Waiting

I wait for the Lord, my soul waits, and in his word I do hope; my soul waits for the Lord more than the watchmen for the morning. (Psalm 130:5-6)

In a situation like Tony's, there is a real sense of helplessness. All we can do whether 6000, 400, or 1 mile(s) away is wait on God and hope in his promises. I am choosing to wait actively on God who makes all things beautiful in his time (Ecclesiastes 3:11).

I write this because it may be of some help and encouragement for some of you. What does waiting on God in a situation like this look like? Here's what it looks like for me right now.

Realize my own powerlessness - not just in this situation, but in all things. My breath, talents, family, even when, where, and to whom I was born are all gifts of God. Nobody is the Invictus, captain of their fate and master of their soul. Therefore, since my own power is an illusion, I look to him who has all power. This causes me to ask God (pray) for my brother's life. I cannot grant life. My positive thinking might change my outlook, but it doesn't change circumstances. I have no power. Even the power the doctors have is a gift from God. It is to God that I must pray. At the end of the day, Tony is better off in God's hands than in mine.

Rest in my storms - my soul can wait even in urgency when I realize that God is in control. Waves can crash about and gail force winds can blow with such force that would cause uncertainty, despair, and confusion. But the soul that finds rest in God alone, is the soul that weathers the storm, for God gives strength in place of our weakness. My prayer is that God would sustain myself and all those in this storm, especially Tony for whom this storm is most real. Jesus was able to sleep in the storm on the Sea of Galilee while the disciples were in panic. I need to keep looking to Jesus who is the giver of real rest.

Rely on God's word - I find comfort, direction, encouragement in God's word (Bible). My thoughts can get carried away, but God's word is a plumb-line that brings me back to the place of a quieted soul which is trusting in the reality of God's truth.


No comments:

Post a Comment